Discussion About The Gallery

known for its unhealthy dose of out of character chat. Grab a beer, put your feet up and chillax with your fellow players and storytellers.

Moderators: Vampire Storytellers, Mage Storytellers, Changeling Storytellers, Mortal: Storytellers, Werewolf Storytellers

Topic author
Matt
Changeling Storyteller
Changeling Storyteller

Discussion About The Gallery

Post#1 » September 5th, 2015, 11:13 pm

[img=float-left]http://www.engravenembroider.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Camara-GALLERY-Icon.png[/img]Hey Guys & Girls
I think I have said this on a few occasions to some of you so my apology's if I am repeating myself. For a long time a new version of PHPBB (Our forum software) has been out and I have been eager to move over to it. The main reason is, it is better... in oh so many ways.

The current version has several modifications to it, what these modifications do is add additional features to the board.... I will be honest, most of them are nice to have but we really don't make use of 80% of them. In the current version modifications change lines of code in the software... this is a manual process where you find a line, make changes, add the edit before and after etc and was generally time consuming. What this also means is different mods can conflict with each other differently. This means things break.... We had managed to get to a point where things worked fine, and then things seemed to break on its own which caused a few headaches. As many of you know for over a year I have fixed essential things and anything not essential I have left (For example the user mention mod which seems to have ceased to function for everyone now)

The New Version (PHPBB 3.1.5) now has plugins. These are just files that get uploaded and activated. They no longer edit lines of code in the forum which means very few conflicts happen and if a plugin conflicts we can disable it and request the author to fix. It means less headaches for myself as everything should function perfectly.

Recently I have looked at NYS from a business perspective. One thing that can effect our player intake is encountering errors, if it does not work as it should they are going to take their business elsewhere. I am eager to resolve this issue.

There are 2 Major mods we use, User Mentions & The Gallery. Both are currently in development. I will add user mentions when its released and is highly likely when we move over we wont have the @mention feature for a while. What I wanted to discuss was the gallery with everyone.

The Question is... Do we need it / Want to keep it?
Below are my list of points for the discussion.

1. We have a space limit on the server.
    1. 4,084.72 MB of the total disk space is currently used.
    2. 128.91 MB of that is the Database that saves all the posts.
    3. 3329.04 MB is the software and various bits needed for the site to run (
    4. 626.77 MB of that is the Gallery (Thats 62.677 MB per Active User)
    5. Roughly 80% of the servers load is from calls to fetch gallery Images.
    6. If we have 50 users that's a gallery folder of 3133.85 MB
    7. As we use Virtual Private Hosting we have a 30 GB limit. We can buy more storage but this means it starts to cost more and the site will be forced to do something to raise funds to run it. I pay £24.22 every month for our hosting. Thats £290.64 every year... in USD you are looking at $440.89.
  2. There are plenty of free alternatives which will call images from hosting places such as Google Drive, Drop Box, Postimage etc this saves a) server load and b) space. It is also possible we could go from using VPS to using standard hosting with unlimited storage and bandwidth. (Which google bot seems to be eating at the moment... curses about google bot in the corner.) Obviously if things start to be a pain in the ass we can switch back, but without the gallery and chat we should be okay. (

Okay so that is a lot of information I just wanted to put out there. I want to point out, we are not in any kind of shit, far from it. I am meerly looking to the future and from a business perspective... can the business of NYS afford the gallery when there are free options which work just as well.

Not having a gallery won't really change anything, it will just mean the images are stored on other servers. This will save server load as well as space.

I wanted to gather all your thoughts, questions, concerns and comments. After all its our site and I just wanted to see how you all feel about this potential change. I figured it would be easier to make it and do the upgrade sooner rather than later than do the upgrade and maybe have to change when hosting becomes too expensive.
Matt
Site Admin, Changeling Storyteller & Mortal Storyteller

Mage:
Apollo
Noctum

Vampire:
Katrina Scherbatsky
Dimitri Bathory

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Re: Discussion About The Gallery

Post#2 » September 5th, 2015, 11:19 pm

Whatever works best honestly.

The Gallery is nice to have but it's not needed and if here is a cost effective option out there that will allow us to maintain the same function, then that's certainly a good option to look at.
Vampire Storyteller Mage Storyteller

Gabriella Conti: Mekhet/Invictus, Striking Looks 2: Deep and Sexy Eyes, Presence 3: Cool and Classy

Patrick Donovan: Antiquarian/Shadowsoul of The Winter Court, Mantle 4, Striking Looks 2: Dashing, Presence 3: Roguish Gentleman, Fame 1: Author

Robert Carraway: Daeva/Ordo Dracul, Striking Looks 2: Ruggedly Handsome, Presence 3: Confident

Fìrinn: Mastigos/Mysterium, Striking Looks 2: Naughty Nerd, Presence 3: Smart Snarker

Aurora: Obrimos/Arrow, Striking Looks 2: Pretty Eyes and Athletic, Presence 3

Lilith
Development Team
Development Team

Post#3 » September 8th, 2015, 9:17 pm

[img=float-left]http://www.insightsoftware.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/time-to-upgrade.jpg[/img]Dear Puny Mortals,

Lilith Here, your friendly forum goddess. As no one else has decided to weigh in on the discussion I have decided to proceed with the upgrade, naturally without the Gallery. This also means we will temporarily lose a few features we previously had and gain a few new ones. The Gallery, Character Banners, Chat, @Mentions & Topic Prefixes will all be gone. We do not plan for some to come back, i.e chat and the gallery. Others such as the @Mentions mod will be once the 3.1 Plugin has been validated by the moderation team.

There are a few things that you all need to do.

1. The Deadline is Thursday 17th September, 6:30PM GMT (1:30PM EST)
  2. Save your Character banners from your profile onto your pc / word document.
  3. Save your character pictures and upload them to online free storage. (See Notes Below)
  4. Remember to update your character banners with the direct link to the pictures
  5. Remember to update your character page with the new picture link.
  6. Don't worry about old posts. Once we have moved over I will start running scripts to change character portrait links.
  7. Make sure your email is correct in your Profile.
  8. Save anything in your notes section to your computer as this is also something we are losing on a temporary basis.

What is going to happen
  1. On Thursday 17th September, 6:30PM GMT (1:30PM EST) the forum will go into Maintenance mode. You will be unable to login or make posts during this time.
  2. A Full backup will be run, just incase so we can do a rollback if needed.
  3. The Update will take anything from 5 or 6 hours to over 24 hours.
  4. The Latest the forum should come back up is on Friday 18th September (23:59pm GMT or 6:59pm EST)
  5. Any 24 Hour Rules are reset.
  6. I will send you all an E-Mail once the forum is back up.
  7. We are also going to be using a new style as a trial for a week or two.

Online Storage Options

There are a few free storage options out there and I won't insult anyones intelligence by going through them all or dictating which ones need to be used. When choosing an online storage facility you need to make sure that they allow direct linking to images otherwise the will not be pulled through to the forum.
  • Dropbox: Users who signed up for Drop Box before 4th Otober 2013 get the pubic folder. Please check you have the public folder in dropbox, if you don't... this option won't work for you and they will force you to upgrade to Dropbox Pro to enable it. I don't expect anyone to do the upgrade, there are free options out there.
  • GoogleDrive: Google drive does not allow hot linking, there is a work around located Here
  • Photobucket: seems to be a good option, you can create folders and share direct links which works. Its also free. The website also allows you to upload multiple pictures at the same time which is a plus. From the options I have explored Photobucket seems to be the best one.
  • Other Options: If you find another option that works, please let me know and I will add it to the list. Going to create a guide on these for new players.
Lilith
The Forum Phantom

Topic author
Matt
Changeling Storyteller
Changeling Storyteller

Post#4 » September 9th, 2015, 6:19 pm

More Good News Everyone

While we are at all these changes I have decided for us to go back to using the .com address (http://www.newyorkshadows.com). When we transferred to the hosts we are on at the moment the transfer process went horribly wrong because our old hosts royally screwed up (Short Version). This meant we ended up with .co.uk, after we had made the move they corrected their error. My intention was always to move back, so might as well do it now rather than later.

Originally we moved to our current hosts because IPage were crap and the one we have is better.... we just don't really need a Virtual Private server any more and sadly with VPS they cant just downgrade us and send us to the normal hosting plans which for one are cheaper.

I will point the .co.uk address to the .com until it runs out.

We will be changing hosts again, mostly to get a better deal.
Matt

Mage:
Apollo
Noctum

Vampire:
Katrina Scherbatsky
Dimitri Bathory

Topic author
Matt
Changeling Storyteller
Changeling Storyteller

Post#5 » September 12th, 2015, 11:52 am

Update on The .Com
Slight change of plan, we will move to the .com some time after the upgrade. This is mostly due to my car costing me a fortune to get fixed. I will update you all with more details as to the when and whats going to happen closer to the time.
Matt

Mage:
Apollo
Noctum

Vampire:
Katrina Scherbatsky
Dimitri Bathory

Return to “The Gotham Bar & Grill”