Hunting down a Rumour (Garret & Jeremy)

There are 8 million stories in the naked city and here is where yours will be told.

Moderator: Vampire Storytellers

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Hunting down a Rumour (Garret & Jeremy)

Post#1 » April 17th, 2016, 8:32 pm

Jeremy Theim¦ Gangrel ¦ Ordo Dracul ¦Ordo Status: 1 (Supplicant) ¦ ¦ Presence 3: Highly Educated ¦ Defense: 2¦ Vitae: 6/10 ¦ Willpower: 7/7¦ Health : 7/7 ¦ BP:1 ¦ Active Powers: Aspect of the Predator¦

Jeremy carried a few books and a notepad, where a list of needed items was jotted down.
"Low-budget camera" was circled. He put it all on the table where Garret sat. He grinned at his colleague.
"I have to admit, this is pretty exciting. I have not interacted with ghosts yet."
He sat down, and added thoughfully: "We probably should go and find somebody who can See Auras, though. From what I have read, ghosts often elude mundane sight, which could make part of our work harder than necessary."

Iblardora
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Hunting down a Rumour (Garret & Jeremy)

Post#2 » April 18th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Garret Jackson Ware¦ Ventrue ¦ Ordo ¦ BP: 2 ¦ Presence: 3: Slightly off ¦ Striking looks 2 "Thousand Yard stare" | Ordo Status: 1 ¦ City Status: 0 ¦ Defense: 2 ¦ Willpower: 6 ¦ Health: 7 ¦ Blood: 10/10 ¦ Active Powers:

"Good idea. I don't know many people with that ability. " he sighs. "I suppose we need to suss out one of them. The plan I have is to find the ghosts, clear them out, asses the situation and either prove or disprove the claims, then let interest wane. Any changes to that plan? "

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#3 » April 18th, 2016, 3:38 pm

Jeremy Theim¦ Gangrel ¦ Ordo Dracul ¦Ordo Status: 1 (Supplicant) ¦ ¦ Presence 3: Highly Educated ¦ Defense: 2¦ Vitae: 6/10 ¦ Willpower: 7/7¦ Health : 7/7 ¦ BP:1 ¦ Active Powers: Aspect of the Predator¦

Jeremy shook his head.
"No, that plan seems solid to me."
He wrote "Auspex-gifted individual" on his list, and underlined it.
"Want to start with seeking one of the elusive Sight-gifted, or researching the history of the place? Both seem appropriate enough for stage 1."

Iblardora
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post#4 » April 23rd, 2016, 12:25 pm

"Let's start with research. It's going to be the more labor intensive .... labor." Garret finished lamely. He stretched and yawned, as if trying to shake off his vampiric slumber.
"What have we got?"

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#5 » April 24th, 2016, 6:27 pm

The notepad was cracked open, pages flew, and finally Jeremy found what he looked for.
"Let's see... Rumours have been spread for at least two weeks about occult happenings in a house southeast of Manhattan College in Riverdale. Story is a rich upper class girl fell in love with a poor boy,parents did not approve, love triangle ended badly. A duel left the boy dead, the girl commited suicide. Family swept the incidence under the rug. The ghosts long for reunification. The rumours were spread via e-mail and dummy accounts, aimed at student clubs and organizations that focus on the paranormal.
According to Sworn Sinclair, the place is haunted."

He sighed. "It sounds so very cliché. I would be willing to bet that the actual ghost is not related to the story told. I just think it sounds too much like what people would want to be true: true, eternal love exists. Comforting little lies to make life seem easier.
But I have been wrong before."
He shrugged non-challantly.

Iblardora
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post#6 » April 26th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Garret Jackson Ware¦ Ventrue ¦ Ordo ¦ BP: 2 ¦ Presence: 3: Slightly off ¦ Striking looks 2 "Thousand Yard stare" | Ordo Status: 1 ¦ City Status: 0 ¦ Defense: 2 ¦ Willpower: 6 ¦ Health: 7 ¦ Blood: 10/10 ¦ Active Powers:

Garrett made a grunt of agreement. If the ghost was some eternal love struck teen he half pitied the thing. It may have been a while ago but he still remembers the feelings of euphoric anxiety and embarrassed longing . He thanked God that he at the very least didn't have to deal with the side effects of Love.

Unless he wanted to.

Shaking himself from his thoughts he refocused on the topic at hand.

"So let's get a name for the possible ghost. We start by looking through the census papers to find likely candidates. So people who either died tragically, suddenly or had a bad life and then bit it, and who live in that house. "

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#7 » April 26th, 2016, 3:29 pm

Okay for research give me Int + Academics or Investigation rolls, each roll represents about 15 minutes of research. Make as many rolls as you wish, just keep the time factor in mind. You can do so separately or with one assisting and one as primary actor (if that is the case you both need to roll the same skill).
Vampire Storyteller Mage Storyteller

Gabriella Conti: Mekhet/Invictus, Striking Looks 2: Deep and Sexy Eyes, Presence 3: Cool and Classy

Patrick Donovan: Antiquarian/Shadowsoul of The Winter Court, Mantle 4, Striking Looks 2: Dashing, Presence 3: Roguish Gentleman, Fame 1: Author

Robert Carraway: Daeva/Ordo Dracul, Striking Looks 2: Ruggedly Handsome, Presence 3: Confident

Fìrinn: Mastigos/Mysterium, Striking Looks 2: Naughty Nerd, Presence 3: Smart Snarker

Aurora: Obrimos/Arrow, Striking Looks 2: Pretty Eyes and Athletic, Presence 3

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#8 » April 26th, 2016, 5:39 pm

"Let's!" Jeremy said in agreement, excitement in his eyes. Books were moved.
He half-expected Garret to have a different approach in these things, half-hoped to be more useful by covering a different angle, and without saying anything went about things his way.
He knew things were serious, but could hardly detain his contentment. He had a task at hand.
It challenged his mind. Old skills were put to use in a new environment. A slight smile betrayed his joy.

One and a half hours later, that smile was gone. Something had annoyed Jeremy immensely, snuffed that speck of light.
Frustrated at something he could not quite place besides calling it a dullness, weariness of his mind, he sat down again, his notepad's frontpage covered in tidy little notes.
He was angry. He said nothing.

► Show Spoiler

Iblardora
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post#9 » April 26th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Garrett looks up from where he is sitting, bent over a light table, slowly moving through the by gone eras papers.
► Show Spoiler

He pushes his doodled on sheet to the side and leans back, arms propping his head up.

"So what did you find?"

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#10 » April 30th, 2016, 7:09 pm

The basics:

It is difficult to find, because New York City as one CITY is a concept of the late 19th Century and even now is still a mess of Five Boroughs and Five Counties but eventually the legend is connected to a real life event.

The Van der Meer family were Manhattan bluebloods whose family dated back to the original Dutch settlers of the area. They had ties of marriage into all of the Manhattan families that mattered, vacation homes in Newport and near the Hudson above the city.

A deceased daughter in 1859.

There is a paper trail from her name to an engagement announcement in several New York papers: Vanessa Van der Meer and William Anders of the Providence Anders, owners of Anders & Williams Shipping.

Details of the death are mainly found in "True Crime" serials, tales that are barely based in fact and seem far crazier than what you've read. Also they don't name those involved. Not even close. Which points at a family of the Van der Meer's status.

William Anders, well his story ends at the Second Battle of Bull Run in 1862 where he was killed in action. No charges were ever brought against him but in 1860 he was engaged to a local girl from Rhode Island.

The other point in the triangle takes a bit longer to get a decent lead. The best guess is Brian Reilly, who was mentioned in a couple of articles about up and coming Irish Catholics who were buying into the true nature of the American dream. A promising attorney in apprenticeship to a pair of respected Manhattan members of the Bar. Died in 1859. "illness". Same day as Vanessa.

Meanwhile the ghost stories around the location began with an article 1885, a cheap magazine article, and by the 1920s the location was one of the city's famous ghost stories. It was even investigated by Harry Houdini at one point, with the famous magician and debunker of the supernatural unable to disprove the local legend.

It was also investigated by noted ghost hunter Harry Price in the 1930s, who wrote an article about it for the British press. Well a British Spiritualist Magazine.

During the 1920s it was famous for being rented out by local Spiritualists for parties and seance attempts.

It was the war that really took it off the map. New York society began to shift in the 1940s and that shift became more rapid during the 1950s and 1960s. The area the house was located in became choice real estate for upscale Manhattanites attempting to find a bit of country peace to raise their families in and yet still connected by train to the real city. Ghost stories were a thing of the past left behind by a rush towards the future.

The Legend was dead by 1955. Ignored until now.
Vampire Storyteller Mage Storyteller

Gabriella Conti: Mekhet/Invictus, Striking Looks 2: Deep and Sexy Eyes, Presence 3: Cool and Classy

Patrick Donovan: Antiquarian/Shadowsoul of The Winter Court, Mantle 4, Striking Looks 2: Dashing, Presence 3: Roguish Gentleman, Fame 1: Author

Robert Carraway: Daeva/Ordo Dracul, Striking Looks 2: Ruggedly Handsome, Presence 3: Confident

Fìrinn: Mastigos/Mysterium, Striking Looks 2: Naughty Nerd, Presence 3: Smart Snarker

Aurora: Obrimos/Arrow, Striking Looks 2: Pretty Eyes and Athletic, Presence 3

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#11 » May 1st, 2016, 6:14 pm

Jeremy had tried hard not to let the annoyance show in his voice. He let out a deep sigh.
"That is what we got. Not much, but it is a start, I assume. Anything you consider especially worthy of consideration? Maybe an idea where we should head out to tomorrow night? Personally, I think I would like to start with the girl, this Vanessa Van den Meer. Seems to be the most conclusive lead, as she is supposed to haunt the place, her story backs the claim to a certain extend, and we can be reasonably sure this is our girl. This Brian Reilly may or may not be our boy at all, and following William Anders' history seems pretty pointless, or at least I fail to see how he could contribute to resolving the haunting."
He looked barely expectantly at Garret.

Iblardora
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post#12 » May 4th, 2016, 2:04 pm

"Well okay." He looked it over. "Yeah she probably is, though the guy with something to prove is a definite possibility. The thing is what kind of haunting is it?" It was phrased as a question but he pushed on without an answer.

"So first off we have the Stone tape theory. Emotions seep into wood and stone and imprint. A creature that forms from strong emotions isn't always sentient but can be dangerous." He flips through his notes. "We could have a residual haunt, which differs as that just tends to be like a tape recorder. Then we have a sentient haunt.... which if these reports of being "rented out" to seance groups is true... could be worse than even a masquerade breech. "

"

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#13 » May 5th, 2016, 5:10 pm

"Why? What can they do? It sounds like you have encountered this type of ghost already. Would you like to tell me a little more?"

Iblardora
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post#14 » May 7th, 2016, 4:31 pm

"Which ? the emotion creatures or the seances? Dealt with both."

He flips through his notes. "Well I mean Strong emotions feed off themselves in loops. If it goes on long enough and strong enough the ghosts that form can start using that power. We call them poltergeist,normally they are a result of a kine with a kernal of power who is having a lot of emotion. It can though happen in the same way the Stone Tape theory work. Enough bad emtotion..." he frowns and shudders. "Remind me to tell you of the time I staked out an old brothel for the Prince. As for Seances, well.." he pauses. "If the haunt is sentient, no matter where it came from, it's not going to like being called out to for entertainment. I mean would you like it if I walked into your home and started asking you about who my future love was going to be? Or how I would die? Now do that a thousand times?"

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#15 » May 7th, 2016, 4:43 pm

"I can see how that becomes.... irritating. Better than you would think. I was teaching at University. You would not believe the kind of things students do." He shook his head, a faint smile on his face.
"Let us assume, lacking another more readily available explanation at the moment, that it is a creature of feeling. According to our information, it was the scene were a young woman lost the young man she was... in love with. Our first pretty strong emotions: the sadness and anger of loss. Leading to her apparent suicide. Another strong emotion: despair. Assuming the boy died slowly enough to notice his end coming, we can throw in a turmoil of intense emotions. At the very least, he and his duell rival were heated enough to be ready to kill each other. Add to that the feelings of hate for the rival, the wrath of being betrayed by your parents - first we have the girl that was to marry someone else, then that someone else who suddenly was not good enough for his former fiancé anymore- and bitterness over being considered beneath notice. That appears to be a lot of intense, and bad, emotions. Operating under the assumption it is a sentient being might be safer, however. What would you say?"

Return to “The City That Never Sleeps”