Tempered Steel: The Judex of New York (Thomas)

There are 8 million stories in the naked city and here is where yours will be told.

Moderator: Vampire Storytellers

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Re: Tempered Steel: The Judex of New York (Thomas)

Post#16 » February 16th, 2016, 5:30 pm

Blair smiled, a gesture that was damn close to becoming a smirk.

"Well now that we are possessed of your talents for accurate observation and subtle maneuvers Mister Richter I am sure that the Domain of New York shall recover its fortunes in no time at all."
Vampire Storyteller Mage Storyteller

Gabriella Conti: Mekhet/Invictus, Striking Looks 2: Deep and Sexy Eyes, Presence 3: Cool and Classy

Patrick Donovan: Antiquarian/Shadowsoul of The Winter Court, Mantle 4, Striking Looks 2: Dashing, Presence 3: Roguish Gentleman, Fame 1: Author

Robert Carraway: Daeva/Ordo Dracul, Striking Looks 2: Ruggedly Handsome, Presence 3: Confident

Fìrinn: Mastigos/Mysterium, Striking Looks 2: Naughty Nerd, Presence 3: Smart Snarker

Aurora: Obrimos/Arrow, Striking Looks 2: Pretty Eyes and Athletic, Presence 3

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#17 » February 16th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Thomas Richter¦ Ventrue¦ Invictus ¦ Title of Esteem: Mister ¦ Title of Function: Commissioner ¦ Title of Tribute: none¦ Defense: 2¦ Vitae: 7/10 ¦ Willpower: 5/5¦ Health : 7/7 ¦ BP:1 ¦ Presence 4: Affable¦

Thomas chuckled. "Oh, how you flatter me Mister Blair!" he said with a big smile. With exaggerated gestures, he told him "I honestly do wish that were the case: Being the shining hero in the hour of need, coming to rescue all that seems lost. What a scene! Actually, I dreamed about being that hero a lot when I was a young boy." His face grew slightly solemn.
"Alas, I grew up to be a banker, and according to most people nowadays, I couldn't be further from those goals." He gave a half-smile.
"In all seriousness however, I do hope to be of good use to the City and the Covenant. If I did not believe I could contribute to the efforts, I would not be here. I am aware, however, that at best, I will be a large pebble in a mountain of stones and rocks. My abilities are, like any tool, limited. To not recognize that would be incredibly foolish of me. Still, I believe my....talents , as you put it, will be of help."
He smiled in a manner that could be almost described as shy.
"Truth be told, I am much like New York as I described it. I have a lot to prove."

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#18 » February 16th, 2016, 8:52 pm

"Yes. Excellent that you brought the subject up, the Judex has expressed a good deal of curiosity about events in Miami and when she arrives would love to hear about what happened directly from the horse's mouth so to speak."

Gabriella Conti: Mekhet/Invictus, Striking Looks 2: Deep and Sexy Eyes, Presence 3: Cool and Classy

Patrick Donovan: Antiquarian/Shadowsoul of The Winter Court, Mantle 4, Striking Looks 2: Dashing, Presence 3: Roguish Gentleman, Fame 1: Author

Robert Carraway: Daeva/Ordo Dracul, Striking Looks 2: Ruggedly Handsome, Presence 3: Confident

Fìrinn: Mastigos/Mysterium, Striking Looks 2: Naughty Nerd, Presence 3: Smart Snarker

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#19 » February 16th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Thomas Richter¦ Ventrue¦ Invictus ¦ Title of Esteem: Mister ¦ Title of Function: Commissioner ¦ Title of Tribute: none¦ Defense: 2¦ Vitae: 7/10 ¦ Willpower: 5/5¦ Health : 7/7 ¦ BP:1 ¦ Presence 4: Affable¦

Thomas smiled wryly. "Of course. Am I right to assume some of it is related to my departure from the city?" His discomfort was obvious, and Thomas was not trying to hide it.

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#20 » February 17th, 2016, 12:25 am

"Yes, the Judex received a letter from her counterpart in Miami offering a few details about some events. She asked me to inform you that she would like a full account of what transpired when she arrives."

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#21 » February 17th, 2016, 10:09 am

"Naturally." This was very much like he expected. "Is there anything else the Judex wants to know?"

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#22 » February 18th, 2016, 6:27 pm

"All of it." Came a voice from behind Thomas.

Marie Chambery¦ Mekhet/Lasombra ¦ Status: City: 3, Clan: 4, Covenant: 4 ¦ Presence 4: Effortless Nobility ¦ Striking Looks 2: Genteel Grace ¦ BP: Mask of Tranquility

"The Good Alder Viscount Marie Chambery, Judex and Interpreter of the First Estate and Regent of Lenox Hill might I present Mister Thomas Richter, Commissioner of the First Estate."

"Thank you Mister Blair." She nodded at the younger Kindred and then fixed a no nonsense gaze at Thomas. "So Mister Richter would you care to explain Miami?"

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#23 » February 18th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Thomas rose and genuflected quickly. "Most Good Viscount." He got up and started to recite: "The short of it is I found out that my sire's siblings had embraced my fellow kindred to become a source of sustenance for themselves. As they shared a House with my sire, and thus most of their activities, I was under the impression this was to be my fate, too. This was supported by information I overheard when my Uncles talked about my future. This lead to a conflict, as I had been told I was embraced for my abilities. Since I had proved my worth by extending the Houses connections and influence, I decided that this would not do, and prepared to take over my sire's place. During the preperations, I uncovered that he indeed was not intent on using me as food, and rather had plans for me to join his House, and even ordered that the behaviour of his siblings was not to include me. I immediately stopped the takeover since there was no hostile intention on my sire's part. I did not manage to obliterate all the traces of my preperations however, and was brought before him. While he appreciated my initiative and general procedure, he was disappointed with my inability to hide my traces and my lack of trust in his intentions, as well as my rash conclusion. Thusly, he doubted his decision to include me in his House was justified, and released me into the Miami Invictus to make a name for myself and prove my worth. This turned out to be impossible, as any success was attributed to his House or my former connections through him, while any failure however would of course have been my doing. Which is why I looked for a city where I could prove my worth, where neither my sire nor his House had any sort of influence, so that what I could or could not do could me measured fairly. Which brought me to New York." He spoke quickly, and obviously was a little tense, but this stemmed more from his discomfort about having failed than anything else. "Do you want me to elaborate on any of those points?"

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#24 » February 18th, 2016, 7:52 pm

Marie Chambery¦ Mekhet/Lasombra ¦ Status: City: 3, Clan: 4, Covenant: 4 ¦ Presence 4: Effortless Nobility ¦ Striking Looks 2: Genteel Grace ¦ BP: Mask of Tranquility

The Judex smiled. Like a cat would smile next to a mouse.

"Well that Mister Richter is confirmation that Miami is as rotten as I have been led to believe and further proof that should the Carthians and Lancea topple the Invictus and eliminate the majority of the Dynastic house in that Domain such events would be a boon for the general health of the First Estate. Fools embracing for food stock are not gathering the best and brightest to the banner of the Invictus and thus have shown themselves unworthy to seek or hold power." She shook her head. "Dynastic Houses are a way to unite Kindred of different generations into a stable situation of power sharing where Elder members are safe to enter Torpor with the knowledge that they will be cared for and that one night in a century or two they shall do the same for those current caring for House matters." Another head shake.

"Well Mister Richter I would apologize for speaking poorly of your sire and his associates in front of those of lower rank, however in cases of such outright stupidity I must toss aside rules of decorum to make sure that younger members of the First Estate understand the lessons taught by troubling situations. When that House falls you must understand the mistakes they made rather than merely blaming their downfall on the actions of other Covenants or ungrateful neonates tired of being mistaken for Vichyssoise."

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#25 » February 18th, 2016, 8:08 pm

"Most Good Viscount, I understand what you mean, however I would like to point out that my sire was the odd one out of the group, so to speak. Without him, the House would have tumbled and fallen ages ago. He did not embrace for livestock but for talent, and were it not for his bonds of familiarity, he would certainly have cleansed the House from any such idiocy." This was as much as he could say to defend his sire. His facial expression remained neutral. "Nonetheless, your verdict of Miami is utterly justified, though it pains me to say it." He looked her in the eyes and added "To learn from mistakes, whether they are mine or those of others, has been a part of my education. To do so, I have to be objective. I will not attempt to justify or whitewash failure."

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#26 » February 18th, 2016, 8:59 pm

"The loyalty you have towards your Sire is commendable and I do hope that when faced with opposition that he makes the correct decision to reject the disgusting practices of his failed false friends and to emerge into the 21st Century." The Viscount smiled.

"So why New York?"

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#27 » February 18th, 2016, 9:07 pm

"Thank you." There was not really much left to say to that. She lauded his loyalty. Everything else was up to time and his sire.
"Because it is vibrant and alive, because the central power of the world's banking sector is here, because here Invictus was tested and came out true, because it has needs that I feel I can partly sate, because Tradition's core is kept alive here and not suffocated under the weight of habit or perverted, because I am unknown here and will be judged for my own merit." He was coming close to enthuasiasm, but kept himself in check.

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#28 » February 18th, 2016, 9:22 pm

"The Duke's title is up for official removal, I had to call in personal Boons for overseas help to unseat a traitorous Priscus, the City is currently celebrating eighteen months of rule under a sane Prince, and I personally made a Baroness out of a former Carthian Prefect because we absolutely needed Kindred of Quality and the ranks of elite Lords and Ladies in the Domain consisted of a Tzimisce I brought into the city myself and a pudgy Notary who stood apart for possessing not-so-common sense. I appreciate your kind words Mister Richter but I am old woman who has long grown weary with those able to wear rose tinted glasses in this trouble existence."

Topic author
vonRiva
Intern
Intern

Post#29 » February 18th, 2016, 9:37 pm

"I am afraid I do not quite get your meaning." His confusion showed on his face.
"Maybe I see this wrongly, but does that not mean that NY's Invictus has gone through hell, and still came out victorious? Despite failure and contestion, power remained with the Lords and Ladies. Is this not what everything is about? Power and Control, to secure our kinds continued existance. I assure you my intention is not to flatter. And I certainly hope I do not wear rose-tinted glasses, because that would be suicidal in the Danse. If, however, you should find me wearing some nonetheless, please feel free to smash them." He was dead serious.

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#30 » February 18th, 2016, 9:48 pm

"Mister Richter always looking on the bright side of unlife is certainly an excellent quality but in this specific case I am merely informing you that there is more to the situation than you understand. The Prince is not in her current position because she is an Elder of the First Estate, she holds her current position because she had built up webs of goodwill among the other four Covenants and was the best qualified candidate who would not cause a civil war. To keep such a position the First Estate must not put any more false feet forward and embarrass the Prince, nor must we pound our chests and alienate the other Covenants. Do you take my meaning?"

Return to “The City That Never Sleeps”