Beacon Hunting Part Deux

The streets of Manhattan, constantly in the shadow of the towers in more ways than one. Here is where all Mage scenes and glimpses go.

Moderator: Mage Storytellers

Topic author
TheBaconMage
Intern
Intern

Re: Beacon Hunting Part Deux

Post#226 » October 19th, 2016, 1:51 am

Salem ¦ Moros ¦ Adamantine Arrow Status: 2 ¦ Defense: 3/Armor 2/3B (Death 4 Entropic Guard) ¦ Mana: 5/12 ¦ Willpower: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] ¦ Health [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] ¦ Active Spells: Entropic Guard, Forces/Space Sight

Salem nodded, "Very noble. I'm not great at social constructs. Building things, that I can do. But getting people to work together, that's a hard one."
Mage:
Salem: Moros Arrow, Presence 3: Confident

Changeling:
Emmett: Summer Darkling, Razorhand/Leechfinger, Presence 3: Dangerous

Vampire:
Kai Armand: Gangrel, Presence 2

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#227 » October 19th, 2016, 4:22 pm

"No one said that it was easy, in fact herding cats would be a much simpler occupation. However the rewards of success are worth it and the job satisfaction rating is rather high if one can keep from giving in to despair."
Vampire Storyteller Mage Storyteller

Gabriella Conti: Mekhet/Invictus, Striking Looks 2: Deep and Sexy Eyes, Presence 3: Cool and Classy

Patrick Donovan: Antiquarian/Shadowsoul of The Winter Court, Mantle 4, Striking Looks 2: Dashing, Presence 3: Roguish Gentleman, Fame 1: Author

Robert Carraway: Daeva/Ordo Dracul, Striking Looks 2: Ruggedly Handsome, Presence 3: Confident

Fìrinn: Mastigos/Mysterium, Striking Looks 2: Naughty Nerd, Presence 3: Smart Snarker

Aurora: Obrimos/Arrow, Striking Looks 2: Pretty Eyes and Athletic, Presence 3

Topic author
TheBaconMage
Intern
Intern

Post#228 » October 20th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Salem ¦ Moros ¦ Adamantine Arrow Status: 2 ¦ Defense: 3/Armor 2/3B (Death 4 Entropic Guard) ¦ Mana: 5/12 ¦ Willpower: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] ¦ Health [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] ¦ Active Spells: Entropic Guard, Forces/Space Sight

Salem laughed at that image, "I can see me trying to herd cats. One zombified mouse and a lot of time. Probably not the best method, but it'd work."
Mage:

Changeling:

Vampire:

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#229 » October 21st, 2016, 8:02 pm

"Less well than you would expect, most cats prefer live prey and only feel up to the pursuit when it inconvenient for everyone else." The old man sipped at his tea. "I tend to be more of a dog person."

Gabriella Conti: Mekhet/Invictus, Striking Looks 2: Deep and Sexy Eyes, Presence 3: Cool and Classy

Patrick Donovan: Antiquarian/Shadowsoul of The Winter Court, Mantle 4, Striking Looks 2: Dashing, Presence 3: Roguish Gentleman, Fame 1: Author

Robert Carraway: Daeva/Ordo Dracul, Striking Looks 2: Ruggedly Handsome, Presence 3: Confident

Fìrinn: Mastigos/Mysterium, Striking Looks 2: Naughty Nerd, Presence 3: Smart Snarker

Topic author
TheBaconMage
Intern
Intern

Post#230 » October 27th, 2016, 5:10 pm

Salem chuckled, "Most cats are happy to hunt so long as the prey has motion and intrigues them. It's not about warm blood or hot meat most of the time, but entertainment. Dogs are far more loving, but I find they can be a bit needy. Between working nights and going on patrol, I don't have enough time for a proper pet."
Mage:

Changeling:

Vampire:

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#231 » November 3rd, 2016, 5:26 pm

"So which are you? The hunter for sport or the loyal protector? There are different ways to fulfill your Oaths as an Arrow and protect the Pentacle. Which style do you prefer?"

Topic author
TheBaconMage
Intern
Intern

Post#232 » November 4th, 2016, 4:29 pm

Salem shook his head, and lost his smile. He slowly pulled the arrowhead necklace from his shirt and held it up for inspection, "When I first Awoke, it was because an Arrow saved me. She lost her life, and I got to keep mine. All because she was hunting something. Had nothing to do with me at all, except that her target was coming after me."

The moros chuckled and released the necklace, letting it hang, "I was dead, and now I live. Like some damn Jesus story, except I wasn't the one who died for someone else's sins, others died for mine. The Arrow found me, gave me her necklace, and let me continue her work. Saving lives and protecting people- one kill at a time. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't call it sport hunting. I'd call that loyal protection."
Mage:

Changeling:

Vampire:

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#233 » November 7th, 2016, 5:47 pm

"I think it could either way. How do you feel after you kill, no matter what the reason behind the action?"

Topic author
TheBaconMage
Intern
Intern

Post#234 » November 7th, 2016, 11:13 pm

Salem considered the question, then looked up to Beacon, "How's your mind arcana? I'd like you to reach into my memories. Feel it for yourself. Might be easier than me trying to say it. Though suffice to say, the running joke about 'recoil' is not the answer."
Mage:

Changeling:

Vampire:

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#235 » November 19th, 2016, 7:06 am

"I possess enough skill to read your surface thoughts."

Topic author
TheBaconMage
Intern
Intern

Post#236 » November 20th, 2016, 4:33 pm

Salem considered that for a moment, and tapped the flat of his knife against his chin, "I'm only an initiate myself, but that should be enough to enhance my recall of some events. Please, tap into my mind, and then I'll tell you what happened as I remember it. It'll be like watching a movie, with a narrator. Only a little more depressing unless you want the pre-awakening college stuff."

Salem gave the old man a grin, "That you probably don't want to see. I'm sure you lived that enough for yourself."
Mage:

Changeling:

Vampire:

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#237 » November 24th, 2016, 9:59 pm

"No one goes through life without pain and suffering, our ability to feel those emotions is the common bond of humanity. It is why Hope is so powerful, it is a force that we've all needed at one point in our lives." The old man finished his tea and casted. "You may begin."

Topic author
TheBaconMage
Intern
Intern

Post#238 » November 24th, 2016, 11:15 pm

Salem ¦ Moros ¦ Adamantine Arrow Status: 2 ¦ Defense: 3/Armor 2/3B (Death 4 Entropic Guard) ¦ Mana: 4/12 ¦ Willpower: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] ¦ Health [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] ¦ Active Spells: Entropic Guard, Forces/Space Sight

Salem nodded and took a deep breath to steady himself. He did a quick chant in high speech, and cast.

► Show Spoiler

The memories floated to the surface as clearly as the day he'd gained them.

"Texas, right on the border. It was a sort of... training camp almost, for new Arrows. Develop the mind and body and learn the core values. That sort of thing." Salem remembered the scrub brush and sand clearly, along with the tents and simple clothing. He wore his desert cammies, the same ones he'd had during Operation Enduring Freedom. His last name had been replaced with his Shadow name on the front, and his rank had been removed for the time being.

Salem took another breath and used his concentration to keep his mind from shifting to that memory, "I was posted to guard duty near the perimeter towards Mexico. Dangerous, but I was a trained before Awakening for that. Hell I was Captain America compared to a couple of the newest recruits- they'd joined the Arrow but they'd never been a soldier before. Anyway, it was near dawn. Me and Duke, another trainee, were armed with three oh eight hunting rifles. Helped to make things less suspicious if it just looked like we were some kinda weird hunting camp. We saw this truck coming from the Border side. We hadn't been told anything about a truck, so I sighted in while Duke called it up."

In the memory, the truck was plenty far out- there weren't many dunes in this area. The short haired blonde guy next to Salem was talking on a radio even as Salem took a knee and got ready. Down the scope it got clear very quick. Driver, passenger with an assault rifle, and a third with a mounted automatic weapon.

"I always like the 240 Bravo. Good weapon. Not one that I wanted to be shooting against though. Duke was still talking. I was trying to pay attention to him and the radio and the car. Someone was verifying things. But they were driving fast. So I took a warning shot at them, hoping to slow them down."

As the words came out, the rifle went off. The jeep sped up, and the 240 gunner pivoted. Duke yelled something, and then took a knee. For the next part, Salem's thought were calm, smooth. Rack the round. Aim. Breathe. Fire. Rack. Aim. Breathe. Fire.

Two shooters with high powered rounds were enough to kill the driver. Salem's mind was entirely blank as the vehicle stopped and the gunner started shooting. The rounds were close. Enough to hit his newly mastered mage armor, and make him move out for cover. Duke wasn't as lucky. He took a hit to the leg, and screamed. Salem didn't see the next few rounds, but they didn't come towards him. His partner turned quiet.

"I think the whole affair might have lasted for a minute. Just me shooting and Duke dying. I hit the gunner with my third shot. The passenger had pushed the driver out and was forcing the vehicle to turn around. Guess he wasn't too keen on dying."

As the gun stopped firing and the truck started moving again, this time speeding away, Salem's scope could make out the empty hole on the back side of the gunner's melon. Arrow reinforcements arrived seconds later. Two females and a male registered in Salem's thoughts. The truck had been likely been Cartel, rather than intentionally coming after them.

Salem's narration fell away as he was relieved of perimeter watch by two others, and he helped remove Duke's cooling body. That was when every emotion he'd subconsciously blocked hit. Fear from the truck coming in. Surprise the moment his finger had pulled the trigger. Sadness at Duke's death. Another brother gone. Anger at the people in the truck. Anguish at the realization that three more lives were on his conscious.

The memory fell away. The feelings of anger and sadness didn't. They were just muted now, here in the present.

Salem bit his lip then leaned back in his chair. "One hundred and thirty-six total if you're wondering. From before the Awakening to now. Comrades I failed to save, and enemy combatants I did in." Salem shook his head and took a long breath, "Four children run over on convoy. I wasn't driving, but my truck still hit them. Of course, that's only the ones I know about. There were times when I wonder if it's a little higher. If that explosion or bullet through a wall didn't get one more I couldn't see. It's a solid estimate. It's only been twenty-six since I Awakened. I don't count Ghosts, since really those are just moving on to where they should be."

Salem cleared his throat, "Probably weird for a Moros to keep a tally of the dead. We all die, and it's only a setback, so on, so forth. But it's hard not to let it weight on me. do the job I have to do, and make the corpse pile a little higher. I used to do confession when I was a sleeper. Never really made me feel better, but it was a good way to talk about it all."

Art smiled ruefully, "I think I'll take some of that tea afterall."
Mage:

Changeling:

Vampire:

Ghostbuster
Mage Storyteller
Mage Storyteller

Post#239 » November 25th, 2016, 6:23 am

The old man poured both Salem and then himself another cup of tea.

"Ending a life should never be easy. It is the ending of everything that life could have been, the dismissal of any chance at redemption and the letting go of hope. The unease you have with the deaths you've seen and caused speaks well of your character. You seem to have realized both the enormity of the action and the sad fact that it is sometimes necessary." Beacon put the pot to the side after the cups were filled.

"Do you have someone in New York that you are comfortable sharing this side of yourself with?"

Topic author
TheBaconMage
Intern
Intern

Post#240 » November 25th, 2016, 10:50 pm

Salem ¦ Moros ¦ Adamantine Arrow Status: 2 ¦ Defense: 3/Armor 2/3B (Death 4 Entropic Guard) ¦ Mana: 4/12 ¦ Willpower: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] ¦ Health [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] ¦ Active Spells: Entropic Guard, Forces/Space Sight

Salem shrugged, "Maybe. I'm giving people a chance more often these days. And the Department of Veterans Affairs still sends me notices about if you need counciling and all that."
Mage:

Changeling:

Vampire:

Return to “In the Shadow of Towers”